Part of Lesson Plan: Domestic Violence: 1. Definitions
Activity Overview / Details
1) On the white board have written out what today's activities will be:
*Domestic Violence: Pre quiz
*Class Discussion: We will be discussing the penal code (PC) sections that address Domestic Violence.
- 13700 (a) PC Abuse
- 13700 (b) PC Relationships
- 13700 (b) (1-6) PC Cohabitants
(*Note to instructor: Penal code sections are referred to as "PC" sections throughout the Domestic Violence lessons. Domestic Violence is referred to as "DV')
*Notes: DV Definitions
2) When students get into class and are seated, start the video clip on Domestic Violence.
It is only about a minute long. I like this clip as it is not too "heavy" due to some of your students may be living in a home where this is a reality.
Note: Inform the students that the statistics are different from region to region. Though they use 84-86% of victims are female in this video, however, my local advocacy home for battered women uses the percentage that 95 % of the victims are female.
3) Have students write down the percentage on a piece of paper. After clip is over, let them know that of the reported offenses some statistics show that 95% of victims are female. To help the students visualize this have 95% of the girls in class stand up. Let the students know that it could be anyone of their classmates that could be involved in a domestically abusive relationship. (This will demonstrate that the victims could be many people they already know).