Part of Lesson Plan: Network Cable Punchdown to Modular Jack
Activity Overview / Details
Preparing the 4Pair cable:
1) Use the Jacket stripper to strip approximately 2 inches of jacket off the cable. (The all in one RJ45 crimp tool middle blades may be used to do this step also.)
2) Seperate the pairs by fanning them out.
3) Use the cut insallation jacket or fingers to untwist the colored pairs.
4) Use your fingers to straighten the wires as mush as possible.
5) Place the wires in color-coded order for a T568A or T568B connector.
Tell students that either T568A or T568B maybe used as long as the same pattern is on each end of the cable, but for class prupopses and industry standards we will be using the T568B, because it is the most widely used in commercial installations.
After demonstrating the actual punchdown process on a modular jack to the students, this is a good time to show the video before the students work on their own independetly.