Part of Unit: Construction
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This unit will focus on Japanese joinery and the tools that are used.
- one lab
- 30 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- BTC.A.A1.1 Know design solutions to common cabinetmaking and wood products problems.
- BTC.A.A9.1 Understand the careers that are available in cabinetmaking and wood products man...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- The students will be able to tell the difference between Western and Japanese cutting styles.
- The students will be able to identify the most common hand tools used in Japan.
- The students will be gain an appreciation of the tools other countries have invented..
Activities in this Lesson
- Post and Beam joint animated - Hooks / Set
The teacher will pass around samples of interlocking Japanese wood joints. and show an animated video clip on a mortise and tendon joint. Teacher needs to pre-make samples.
- Japan overview - Lecture
This presentation is to introduce the student to Japanese woodworking. It is a PowerPoint with teaching aides. Each PowerPoint slide has short notes (go to view/note page in power point viewer) that will help the teacher present the slides.
Also included is a word document with a lot of additional information on the topic for additional reading. This info is more for the teacher that does not have knowledge in Japanese wood working. It is not meant to be presented to the students in a lecture mode. The teacher will show samples of saws, chisels, and planes while running the power point. The teacher will also pass out the worksheet at the beginning of the presentation.
- Shop demo - Demo / Modeling
Teacher may choose to take the students out and show a demonstration on basic Japanese joints. The teacher needs to demo the proper use of the tools and safety corresponding with it.
- Check for understanding - Assessment
Teacher will go over answers of the worksheet with the students at the end of the presentation.