Part of Lesson Plan: Introduction to Color
Activity Overview / Details
As students come into the classroom they are given a color chart with 15 small squares of color. Instruct students to write 3 descriptive words on the the chart next to each color in the space provided.
Have students jot down any symbolic meaning they think of when they see the color. Have students list any emotions that come to mind with that color - how the color makes them feel. They can also write any words that they associate with that particular color such as-optimistic, dynamic, energizing etc.
Collect the color charts and discuss student response to the colors, then play the Color in Motion animation a flash video about the symbolic and emotional relationships of color theory.
Materials / Resource
- Color in Motion [ Go to Site ] Interactive color theory web site
- Meaning of Color Blank [ Download ] Student hand out with space for notes
- Meaning of Color [ Download ]
- Color In Motion [ View Flash ] [ Download ] Color symbolism animation
- Color in Motion-Writing Prompt.pdf [ Download ] Writing prompt for animation