Part of Unit: Family Development and Parenting
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This is a lesson wherein students will develop their own personal Parenting Code of Ethics loosely based on the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
- 50 minutes class period
- 2 Class Periods
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ECDFS.FS.10.1 Understand the decisions and responsibilities involved in parenting in various c...
- ECDFS.FS.10.10 Understand the factors that affect the development of individuals and the ways i...
- ECDFS.FS.10.9 Understand the function of the family as a basic unit of society and the contrib...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
Consumer and Family Studies(CFS) Standards Detail
Analyze factors to consider when determining readiness for
identify parenting responsibilities. (ECDFS – F10.1.1) Describe and evaluate the responsibilities, styles, and strategies of parenting.
(ECDFS – F10.1.4)
Describe and evaluate the responsibilities, styles, and
strategies of parenting.
(ECDFS – F10.1.4)
Objectives and Goals
The student will be able to identify various parenting responsibilites to the children, the community, their parenting partner, as well as to society as a whole.
Activities in this Lesson
- Responsibilities - Hooks / Set
Have the whiteboard at the front of the room sectioned off into 2 areas that are labeled "YES" and "NO". Have numerous magnets on the whiteboard for the students' use.
On each table/desk have 3 parenting responsibilities printed out on individual pieces of paper.
The students are to place each of the 3 responsibilities on their table/desk in the area of the whiteboard where they think it belongs.
NOTE: It's okay if some of them are duplicates as that will stimulate discussion among the group if some think it is a necessity/responsibility and some disagree.
- RESPONSIBILITES.doc [ Download ] A printout of the 'responsibilities' to put on the tables/desks.
- Code of Ethics - Projects
Each student is to develop their own individual Parenting Code of Ethics. The assignment sheet lists the specific requirements for the assignment. I have also uploaded a copy of the NAEYC Code of Ethics that this assignment is very loosely based on.
- NAEYC Code of Ethics [ Download ] This is the code of ethics upon which the outcome of this lesson is loosely based.
- Assignment Sheet [ Download ] This is the assignment sheet for the assignment, outlining exactly what is expected of the student.
- Sample Code of Ethics [ Download ] This is an example of the finished product.
- Code of Ethics Rubric [ Download ] Scoring rubric for the assignment. You can create your own at rubistar.4teachers.org.
- Assessment Types:
This is the rubric I developed; however, you can design your own at rubistar.4teacher.org.
- Code of Ethics Rubric [ Download ] Scoring Rubric for the assignment.