Part of Lesson Plan: 3. Report Writing: Field Interview Report (FIR)
Activity Overview / Details
Hand out the FIR form to the students.
Have the students now fill in as much of the FIR form as they can with ONLY the information they obtained from their partners. (Allow 30 minutes)
They may not add things that are visual that they did not have listed on their paper, such as hair color or style and eye color. If it was not on their paper they may not fill in that box.
The teacher will give them the following information to complete the necessary boxes on the form:
- F.I.R. number = 002-FIR
- Beat = 7 (This is the area of patrol the report was taken at.)
- CAD ID (at the bottom of the page) is a computer data entry number that each officer has. A student id number would be ok or I use the class period the students are in.
- Deputy: would be the student writing this form
- Reviewing officer: would be the teacher's name.
- Computer entry: (on bottom of right half of page) Leave Blank. This is the name of the dispatcher or person who entered this report into the computer system. Leave the whole line blank: Vehicle entry, Warrant entry, reviewed, and copy made.
When the students are finished:
- Pass out highlighters and have each student highlight every box they did not have information to fill in.
- Have students write down on their original piece of paper all the highlighted missing information they missed.
Allow the students to have a classroom discussion on this activity. It always seems to generate great discussion and is a fun assignment. The students begin to realize how intricate it is to be a peace officer.
Materials / Resource
- Field Interview Report Form [ Download ] Student exercise