Part of Unit: Promotion
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
This lesson introduces the importance of visual merchandising as a promotional strategy to attract potential customers and to aid in the sales and closing process.
The lesson and textbook explains the concepts of visual merchandising and display, and helps to identify the ways in which cultural and ethnic differences can impact visual merchandising. The lesson also presents the different types of displays and the key steps in display preparation and maintenance.
The lesson is connected with the textbook: Marketing Essentials, Glencoe McGraw-Hill, Copyright 2006, Woodland Hills, CA.
- Over two class blocks
- 200 Minutes
California's 2008 CTE Standards
- FID.A.A11.4 Understand methods of visual merchandising for consumer products on the Internet.
- FID.B.B3.3 Use the elements and principles of design when designing, marketing, and merchan...
- FID.B.B3.4 Understand the fundamentals of color theory and color forecasting.
- FID.B.B3.5 Use various types of technology in the design process.
- FID.B.B4.2 Evaluate the impact of cultural factors on customers’ needs, desires, and satisf...
- FID.B.B5.5 Analyze space needs on the basis of clients’ specifications.
- MSS.FS.10.4 Know how promotion concepts and strategies, including advertising, sales promoti...
- MSS.FS.2.0 Communications
- MSS.FS.4.2 Understand the use of technological resources to access, manipulate, and produce...
- MSS.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
- MSS.FS.9.3 Understand how to organize and structure work individually and in teams for effe...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.11-12.LS.C.1.1 Recognize strategies used by the media to inform, persuade, entertain, and trans...
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.W.RT.1.3 Use clear research questions and suitable research methods (e.g., library, elect...2
- Students will be able to:
- Explain the concept and purpose of visual merchandising
- Identify the elements of visual merchandising
- Describe types of display arrangements
- Understand the role of visual merchandisers on the marketing team
- List the five steps in creating a display
- Explain how artistic elements function in display design
- Describe the importance of display maintenance
Activities in this Lesson
- Lesson Transition Hooks / Set
Teacher will break students up into groups of four:
In groups of 4:
In groups of 4:
Discuss your first impressions when going into a store recently
- What catches your eye?
- List the elements of the displays around the store ( color, shape, location, etc.)
- What do you think is most effective in a display?
- Lecture and Note-Taking Lecture
Present PowerPoint presentation on Chapter 18, Visual Merchandising and Display
Students will be using a note-taking guide
Pause for discusion and questions
- Class Work Independent Practice
Students will answer end of section questions and end of chapter questions from textbook and workbook.
Assignments are located on the PowerPoint.
- Display Creation Demo / Modeling
In groups of two, create a promotional display using various artistic considerations involved with display preparation.
Your display will be a window display with dimensions of 8 feet by 8 feet square.
You are to create a seasonal bicycle store display.
On your own paper, draw the display and layout.
List the props and fixtures you will need for this display.
You will be rated on the following scale:
1. Selling Power
2. Attention-grabbing effect
3. Contribution to product image
5. Theme usage
6. Use of color
7. Use of artistic elements
8. Arrangement of materials and props
9. Display cards and signs
10. Overall appearance
9 - 10 = Excellent
7 - 8 = Good
5 - 6 = Fair
- Chapter 18 Activity Packet Independent Practice
Students will complete the Chapter 18 activity packet in class and as homework.
Packet includes a chapter quiz.
Students will use their notes, the textbook and the Internet to complete packet.
Resources and Materials
- Chap-18-Activity Packet.pdf [ Download ] null
- Homework Assignment Assessment• HomeworkVisit at least 3 stores in town1.Observe and evaluate the storefronts2.Evaluate the different window and interior displays3.Review and evaluate the store layout using the same rubric for your window display.4.List the differences and your rating of each of them•Save as:
- Assessment Types:
- Projects, Chapter 18 Packet
Students will complete the Lesson Packet which includes a quiz.
Teacher will evaluate the packet and return to the student.