Part of Unit: Networks
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will be able to explain the purpose of a network interface card and the different types.
Students will be able to explain the different LAN technologies.
Students will be to explain the purpose of the MAC Address.
- Computer Lab
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- The Student will learn the history of EtherNet Cards, and how the NICs work.
- The student will be able to install a NIC
Activities in this Lesson
- The History of Ethernet - Hooks / Set
Show the video about the History of Ethernet to the students.
Ask the student to take notes about the main event shown in the video.
Start a group discussion about topic like these:
1) when was the Ethernet created?
2)Who created the Ethernet?
3)Describe the condition that existed necesitaring the development of todays Ethernet network?
4)What type of cable was used to connect the computers?
The video shows just the first 3 minutes of a original 9 minutes video that can be found at
- CompTIA Network +Animated Video 1:18minutes - Hooks / Set
This video can be used as an animated overview for the topics about network interface cards.
- NIC Presentation - Lecture
Use this PowerPoint Presentation to lecture about Network Cards
- NIC.ppt.ppt [ Download ] Network Cards Presentation
- NIC Installation Check List - Guided Practice
NIC Installation list of steps that students need to complete , Guided Practice.
- NIC installation Check List [ Download ]
- NIC Installation Lab -Independent Practice- - Lab / Shop
On this lab students will install a network card on a computer, and verify that is working properly.
Provide a NIC and a computer to student to complete this lab
Provide a copy of the 2 pages document from the materials to the students.
Students will answer the questions, read and follow the steps on the handout. Students need to check as they complete the steps on the list, or wirte "N/A" if not applicable.
- NIC Installation Lab.pdf [ Download ] List of steps that students need to complete, when installing a network card
- Checking for undertanding - Assessment
Ask the students to answer the attached handout.