Part of Unit: Boat Construction - Basics
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Each student will research and build a boat out of balsa wood. Students should research terms such as keel, beam and design a boat. Viking ships are perfect for this project.
This project will be in groups of 4.
You will need the students to record the design and boat built in the journals.
Students should take into account the expected use and weight of the payload the boat is to carry.
Will the boat float or tip over?
Where will the water line be?
- Boat Construction and design
- 4 Days
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- ED.C.C1.1 Know historical and current events that have relevance to engineering design.
- ED.C.C1.2 Understand the development of graphic language in relation to engineering design.
- ED.C.C10.2 Use sketching techniques as they apply to a variety of architectural and enginee...
- ED.C.C3.2 Understand the degree of accuracy necessary for engineering design.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- Students should learn how to research design and build a basic Viking ship.
- This is a end project for lesson 1&2. Students can build a boat to scale if you want to take more time to teach that during the design process. Each group should design a boat based on the research. The design should be on graph paper. A top, side and front view should be made. Students should consider the payload and design accordingly.
Activities in this Lesson
- Boat Building research - Projects
Students will research how to build a Viking ship.
Things you will need for this project:
1. Balsa wood (order) in strips 1/8" x1/2 x 3'
(you can order wider strips for the sides of the boat)
2. Super glue
3. Safety (Eye protection)
6. Graph Paper
7. Resin and each group should have a paint brush. Plastic gloves.
Students in group should design a boat.
Students will make a keel and add the beams.
- Boat intro/Hook - Hooks / Set
Students will understand why it is important to build a safe boat.
- Sinking Ship [ Go to Site ] null
- Assessment Types:
- Projects, Demonstrations, Observations,
Each group should present the findings from research. Each group will be graded on how accurate the drawing are. Each group should be judged on the boat build.
1. Is the boat to scale? Is the boat built like the drawings ?
2. What steps did the students take in researching the design?
3. Each group should present the boat for observation.
4. If you use resin to seal the bottom of the boat you can float them. Does the boat float?