Part of Unit: Steering, Suspension, Tires, Wheels
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will be introduced to the different types of suspension
systems and how they affect a vehicle’s weight, performance
and handling. Students will also learn the components specific to
each type of vehicle, its suspension system, and how it operates.
- 1 Class Period
- 0 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C1.5 Use appropriate personal protective equipment and safety practices.
- T.C.C8.3 Diagnose, service, and repair steering and suspension systems.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- Students will understand the different types of suspension systems affect vehicle handling/performance.
- Students will be able to identify the components that are used and how they are, diagnosed, serviced, and replaced.
Activities in this Lesson
- Personal experience - Hooks / Set
Ask the students:
- Who has worked on their suspension system and, if so, why?
- Who has modified their suspension system and, if so , why?
- What were you trying to change/improve? What were the results? Were they what you anticipated?
- PowerPoint - Lecture
Use the Power Point to introduce the the different types of suspension systems. Show examples of each type of suspension system and have students identify each by type and by component. Describe abnormal vehicle behavior, such as excessive jounce and/or oscillation and get them to diagnose these problems as we go along during the Power Point.
- Chapter 70 Suspension.ppt [ Download ]
- Suspension Lab Demo - Demo / Modeling
Use shop demonstration vehicles to identify the different types of suspension systems and their components. Show how they operate on the vehicle. Demonstrate how the components are tested for wear and correct operation. Answer student questions and clarify the lab assignment. Students will wear safety glasses and cover-alls at all times while in the shop area.
- Suspension Lab Assignment - Lab / Shop
Students will be given lab assignment worksheets they will use to identify the different types of suspension systems & their key components. Each student group will identify these parts on at least 2 different vehicles with different types of suspension systems and explain how they operate. Students are continually monitored to insure they are wearing their safety glasses and cover-alls while maintaining safe shop practices at all times while in the shop area.
- Suspension Activity.pdf [ Download ]
- Activity #5 - Closure
All students will clean up the shop area 20 minutes before the end of class and, upon completion of the cleanup, assemble back in the classroom area. I will display assorted google.com/suspensionsystem/photos in sequence and have students identify the different suspension system types and their components. I will do this until the end of class.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Teacher-Made Test, Observations,
I will walk around the class monitoring the student’s participation and answer any questions that arise. During the lab exercise I will ensure that the students wear their safety glasses and always practice shop safety. I will assist students in the lab if needed and give constructive feedback when necessary. Students will turn in their completed Charging Worksheet, explain their results, and make recommendations for repair, if any.