Part of Unit: Engine Cooling and Lubrication
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
In this lesson, students will participated in a cooling system inspection and testing.
- 1 class
- 180 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C1.1 Know and understand common environmental conservation practices and their applic...
- T.C.C1.2 Practice the safe handling and storage of chemicals and hazardous wastes in acco...
- T.C.C1.5 Use appropriate personal protective equipment and safety practices.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be able to identify any external failures in the cooling system.
- Students will be able to correctly and safely handle automotive coolant
- Students will perform necessary pressure testing of cooling system
Activities in this Lesson
- Pop goes the weasel - Hooks / Set
As students walk in the class they will find the day's lesson and objectives on the white board that includes: identifying cooling system failures; pressure testing ths system; and properly handling coolant.
I will have pictures and then a video of what happens when a cooling system fails. I will ask the students how many of them have $3k, the amount of money needed to rebuild their engines.
- Under Pressure - Lecture
Students will be taken into the shop and given a live example of what can happen when the cooling system fails. I will show them a radiator that has failed due to over-pressure in the system caused by a faulty radiator cap. The students will then be taken back into the class and given a handout with the proper procedure for completing a visual inspection and pressure test. I will cover the proper way to operate the test equipment. I will then discuss the process with the students to clarify any misunderstandings.
- PUMP IT UP - Demo / Modeling
Students will gather in groups of three and I will demonstrate what we are looking for in a visual inspection. I will then perform a cooling system pressure test. I will cover all safety aspects and make sure all students are wearing PPE (personal protective equipment).
- Copy Cat - Demo / Modeling
1. Students will gather in groups of three.
2. Students will look up all vehicle specifications on AllData for specific vehicle.
3. Students will perform a visual inspection of the cooling system, noting condition of all hoses, belts, components, and verifying any leaks present.
4. Students will perform a cooling system pressure test and check for any pressure leaks.
- Check please - Assessment
I will wander through the shop during the student modeling process and observe all groups performing procedure. I will ask leading questions to the students to give them direction as needed. When students complete the assignment, we will return to the classroom to discuss what was discovered.
- The finale - Closure
Have students turn in all paperwork to verify completion of assignment. Let students know what they completed and explain what will be discussed the next day. Explain how they could use the information in the future.
- Assessment Types:
- Rubrics, Demonstrations, Observations,
I will circle the shop in order to observe the students completing the procedure. Students will demonstrate to me the proper use of the test equipment during the testing. The students will use a rubric to understand how they will be graded and what the expectations will be.