Part of Unit: Engine Performance
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
In this lesson, students will be identifying zirconium oxygen sensors.
- Lesson time
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C3.5 Understand the basic principles of electricity, electronics and electrical power...
- T.C.C3.6 Understand the principles of converting energy from one form to another.
- T.FS.10.9 Understand the need to obtain and maintain industry-standard, technical certific...
- T.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- T.FS.4.4 Understand the role and function of tools, equipment, and machines in the latest...
- T.FS.5.1 Apply appropriate problem-solving strategies and critical thinking skills to wor...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives / Goals
Student will be able to identify early model zirconium type oxygen sensors that may be found on American and Asian vehicles.
Various oxygen sensors from early American, Asian and European vehicles
3 early GM 1 wire
3 early Asian 1 wire
3 various types 1, 2, 3 or 4 wire American, Asian and European
Various oxygen sensors will be used to demonstrate the early styles of various manufacturer with un heated and heated zirconium oxygen sensors.
2 exhaust manifolds for sensor mounting demonstration
2 catalytic converters and exhaust pipes for sensor mounting demonstration
NATEF task sheets identification speciality area A-8 and L-1
Activities in this Lesson
- Oxygen sensor identification - Hooks / Set
I will pass oxygen sensors around to teams of (3) students each to think pair share the visual differences between sensors.
Then, I will go through the Oxygen Sensors Power Point with students.
We will watch an oxygen sensor vidoe and follow along with a NATEF task sheet.
- Closure/collaboration - Closure
During the closure activity, the student teams will be asked to clean their work areas and be prepared for the following lab activity to apply what they have learned on the shop vehicles.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Observations,
Each team will organize their sensors and describe through shout-out choral response the 3 common characteristics of each sensors.
1. Metal housing-mounting
2. Electrical connection-battery
3. Looks like it is dirty and an exhaust component