Part of Unit: Engine Performance
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Oxygen sensor testing using the digital storage oscilloscope on pre-OBD, OBD 1 and OBD 2 vehicles.
- Lesson time
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C3.5 Understand the basic principles of electricity, electronics and electrical power...
- T.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.8.R.CAGT.2.6 Use information from a variety of consumer, workplace, and public documents to e...3
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.6 Demonstrate use of sophisticated learning tools by following technical direction...2
- M.8-12.PS.8.0 Students organize and describe distributions of data by using a number of differ...
Objectives and Goals
Proper testing of late OBD 1 and OBD 2 sensors
Activities in this Lesson
- Testing of O2 sensors OBD 1 and OBD 2 vehicles - Hooks / Set
While I am taking roll I will have the students take out their portfolios and open their automotive book to the oxygen sensor testing section. In the lecture setting will learn the generic testing requirements and procedures of OBD 2 vehicles. I will group the students in teams of 3 for the lab portion of the lesson. In the lab setting the students will apply the testing procedures outlined in the lecture They will follow the BAR generic testing recomendations utilizing Alldata and Identifix computers programs and factory technical manuals on assigned shop vehicles.
- Oxygen sensor testing on car [ Go to Site ] Oxygen sensor testing on car-generic
- Oxygen sensor replacement [ Go to Site ] Oxygen sensor replacement generic 1
- Oxygen sensor replacement 2 [ Go to Site ] Oxygen sensor replacement generic 2
- NATEF task sheet 2 [ Download ] Perfomance based lab assessment
- Oxygen sensor testing - Lab / Shop
In the lab setting the students will work in teams of 3 working on running vehicles in the shop setting inspecting, testing and removal, inspection and replacement of various oxygen sensors. Strict adherance to shop safety rules will be observed by instructor through out the lesson.
- Shop clean up - Closure
While students are cleaning their work areas the instructor will review NATEF task sheets, worker orders and review any questions of the last 3 classes of lecture and lab.
- Assessment Types:
- Demonstrations, Portfolios, Observations, NATEF task sheet
The instructor will assess each student team as they identify and test the oxygen sensor system as required by the NATEF task sheet. Each student will have their NATEF task sheet signed by the instructor after sucessful demonstration of testing their oxygen sensor or sensors.
1. Shop work order
2. NATEF task list
3. 6 various make America, Asian and European vehicles; (1) carburated vehicle per BAR regulation of any make mentioned however, it must have a pre-OBD oxygen sensor either one or two wire (heated). One vehicle must be 1996 or newer with full OBD 2 capability.
4. Vehicle Manufacture specific repair manuals, BAR Smog Check testing manuals, computer / internet access for online references.
5. Various Generic and Manufature recommened testing equipment (Digital Multi-meters and Digital Storage Ocilloscopes-DSO.
6. Required shop safety equipment and personal protective equipment