Part of Unit: Engine Performance
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will learn how to read scope patterns to help diagnose a vehicle state of health. Instructor will use a PowerPoint with scope patterns presentation. Tools needed: binder paper, ruler, PowerPoint on Sun Scope Patterns amd an Oscilloscope if you have one.
- Scope Pattern Drawings
- 87 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C1.1 Know and understand common environmental conservation practices and their applic...
- T.C.C1.5 Use appropriate personal protective equipment and safety practices.
- T.C.C2.2 Use tools, equipment, and machines to safely measure, test, diagnose, and analyz...
- T.C.C2.7 Comprehend the importance of calibration processes, systems, and techniques usin...
- T.C.C6.1 Perform general engine maintenance, diagnosis, service and repair in accordance ...
- T.C.C6.3 Understand how to maintain, diagnose, and repair computerized engine control sys...
- T.C.C6.4 Maintain, diagnose, service and repair ignition, electronic and computerized eng...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be able to:
- Work cooperatively in groups.
- Describe a lab scope and its use.
- Explain what the picture in a lab scope can tell us.
- How to hook up a Sun Scope.
- How to operate a Sun Scope.
- Describe the relationship between voltage and time.
Activities in this Lesson
- Start of class - Hooks / Set
As the students enter the class, they get into their assigned groups. One member from each group will get their group binder from the bookcase. After bringing it to their group, it will be opened and the note pages will be taken out that were given to them the preceding day for this activity. I give out the next day’s activity at the end of each day so the students know what they are going to learn the next day. No Surprises!
- Introduction to the Sun Scope - Demo / Modeling
Once I have the groups attention, I ask them where they have seen a scope on TV. Some will come up with hospital room with the patient attached to a heart monitor. Now I tell them that’s what I want them to do. Hook up the patient!
The patient is the vehicle engine and you are going to monitor how well it runs and do some basic stress tests to see how the patient is doing. I put on the PowerPoint of the sun engine analyzer & turn on the sun analyzer with just the light on. I ask the question, "What is the purpose for just the light on?" Answer is: Advertisement.
As I go onto each slide I have the one student who does not want to learn come up to the machine with their safety glasses on and point out the parts. As long as you don’t request him or her to talk they will participate. This frees up the instructor to monitor the class and keep them on task. When I get to slide 14, "Secondary Display Patterns," I pass out seven blank pieces of binder paper and a ruler. I demonstrate how to draw the pictures, writing the word Voltage vertically on the left side of the page and the word Voltage on the top horizontal.
- Sun Scope Patterns [ Download ] PowerPoint
- Drawing Pictures - Group Work
The first day the students are to draw all the pictures and label them, taking their time. I explain to them that the better they do it, the easier it will be to tell what is wrong with the ignition and fuel system or engine overall condition.
I will walk around the class with a couple of students to encourage them to draw well. I tell them since you have 13 pictures I will give them one extra point for each picture drawn correctly. This activity might take two periods, so be flexible with your time line.
Once I have finished I give them time to discuss among themselves. Each group will write down a summary of today's lesson and have them available to myself as I walk around the class and mark in their binder points this activity (5 points max). If the group gets low points, they will have time to redo their notes for a higher score at a later time
- Review - Closure
I do a quick review of today’s activity and the introduction of the next assignment, which is hooking up the Sun Scope to a test Vehicle. I pass out the Sun Engine Analyzer note sheets for this assignment to be put into the student’s binder. When this is done, the students put their binder back on the bookcase. This way, the students already know what they are going to learn when they come to class.
- Sun Scope Patterns Notes [ Download ] For Day Two
- Assessment Types:
- Projects, Observations,
Once I have finished giving them time to discuss among themselves, each group will write down a summary of today's lesson and have them available to myself as I walk around the class and mark in their binder points this activity (5 points max). If the group gets low points, they will have time to redo their notes for a higher score at a later time.