Part of Lesson Plan: **Manual Transmission Power Flow (updated) by Beau Sunahara
Activity Overview / Details
Teacher will demonstrate how power flows through a manual transmission in reverse, for a 3-speed manual transmission.
This can be done in one of two ways: Teacher can list out all the parts in order as power flows through a 3-speed manual transmission in reverse or by drawing a line over a projection to show how power is flowing through the transmission.
If teachers are listing out parts, it would be: Input shaft > input gear > input counter gear > counter shaft > reverse counter gear > reverse idler gear > reverse gear > 1- reverse synchronizer > output shaft.
If teacher is drawing out power flow, they can either use a transmission and document camera or an overhead slide to draw a line as in the reverse resources materials.
The teacher will ask for questions at the end of the demonstration to clarify explanations.
Students will take Cornell-style notes during lectures.
Materials / Resource
- blank gear range.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- reverse.jpg [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- 1st gear.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] 1st gear power flow
- 2nd gear.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] 2nd gear power flow
- direct drive.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Direct drive power flow