Part of Lesson Plan: **Manual Transmission Power Flow (updated) by Beau Sunahara
Activity Overview / Details
Selected students will draw how power flows through the trasmission parts in selected gears.
Before students go up to whiteboard or smartboard, the teacher will pick out students to go up and give them their selected gear. For example, "Jimmy you have 1st gear, Becky you have 2nd gear, Timmey you have reverse, George you have direct drive, and Anna you have reverse gear." This will give the students a moment to study which power flow they will be drawing.
After a student draws power flow, the entire class will recite the name of the parts as the teacher traces the student's lines. For example, 2nd gear: The teacher will start his marker or finger over the input shaft and students will say, "Input shaft > input gear > input counter gear > counter shaft > 2nd counter gear > 2nd gear > 2 - 3 synchronizer > output shaft." This will check the student's work while checking for understanding from the entire class.
If there are any mistakes in the students drawings: The teacher will let the class find any mistakes as they name the parts in the power flow. If no student recognized a mistake, then the teacher can give hints to problems with the power flow.
Materials / Resource
- power flow1.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ] Student drawing how power flows through the transmission in a selected gear on the board. This would require student being able to write on top of a picture projected onto a white board or smart board.
- manual trans.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- main & input.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- main & input2.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- counter shaft.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- gear selector.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- reverse idler.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- shift forks2.JPG [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]