Part of Unit: Classroom/Lab Management Procedures
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
In this lesson, students will become familiarized with the facility and resources available.
- Lesson time
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C5.4 Understand the concept and application of accepted ethical business practices.
- T.FS.10.1 Understand how to use and maintain transportation technological products and sys...
- T.FS.11.0 Demonstration and Application
- T.FS.4.4 Understand the role and function of tools, equipment, and machines in the latest...
- T.FS.6.1 Know policies, procedures, and regulations regarding health and safety in the wo...
- T.FS.6.2 Understand critical elements for health and safety practices related to storing,...
- T.FS.6.3 Use tools, equipment, and machinery safely and appropriately.
- T.FS.6.4 Know the local, state, and federal laws, and the requirements of regulatory agen...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Student Objectives / Goals
Students will learn the school campus layout and the location of resources needed to enhance student success.
Activities in this Lesson
- School tour and Automotive Technology shop tour - Hooks / Set
I will take the students on a tour of the entire campus. As we walk, I will explain to each team and individual students the importance of time management and class location as it related to business practices and basic work ethic. Knowing the location of and the time needed to get to the student's employment and to be to class on time is important. This relates to the auto shop as a viable business. I will take the students to the different class locations. Finally, all students will learn each location, including the storage container and its contents, proper parking locations and the security of vehicles in the gated area.
- School Map.pdf [ Download ] Natomas High School campus map
- Group work - Group Work
I will put the students in small groups of 3 to 5 per team, dependent on the particular class size at the time of the activity. The activity will include environmental conditions and concerns of working outside. Each team will use a clip board with a school map and some note paper to record all of the locations as we tour the areas.
- Collaboration - Closure
During closure, the individual student team members will then collaborate in order to create and produce a map of their own with a complete legend for future students, teachers, and administration, including community members such as the local fire department.
Students will need:
- Clip board
- Map of school