Part of Unit: Fundamentals of Steering, Suspension, Tires, Wheels
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will be introduced to the 5 alignment angles and how they affect a vehicle’s performance and handling. Students will also learn the components specific to the vehicle’s alignment and how they are adjusted.
- 1 Class Period
- 3 Hours
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- T.C.C1.5 Use appropriate personal protective equipment and safety practices.
- T.C.C2.6 Know and understand how to access technical reports, manuals, electronic retriev...
- T.C.C2.7 Comprehend the importance of calibration processes, systems, and techniques usin...
- T.C.C8.3 Diagnose, service, and repair steering and suspension systems.
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be introduced to the 5 alignment angles and how they affect a vehicle’s performance and handling.
- Students will also learn the components specific to the vehicle’s alignment and how they are adjusted.
Activities in this Lesson
- Draw on Personal Experience - Hooks / Set
"Does your car pull to one side? Do your tires wear funny or wear out too fast? Does you steering wheel return to strait ahead when you let go? What do you think cause this?"
- PowerPoint - Lecture
Use PowerPoint to introduce the 5 steering angles. Show examples of tire wear and ask students to diagnose the cause. Describe abnormal vehicle behavior, such as pulling to the left or drifting while on the freeway and get them to diagnose the problem as we go along during the PowerPoint. Explain that alignment diagnosis is a puzzle to be solved.
- Chapter 67 Alignment Angles.ppt [ Download ]
- Alignment Angle Lab Demo - Demo / Modeling
Use shop demonstration vehicle to identify the alignment angle components and show how they operate on the vehicle. Demonstrate how the alignment angles are measured and adjusted. Answer student questions and clarify the lab assignment. Students will wear safety glasses and cover-alls at all times while in the shop area.
- Alignment Angle Lab Exercise - Lab / Shop
Students will be given lab assignment worksheets they will use to identify alignment angles, wear angles, and key components. Each student group will identify these parts on 3 different vehicles with 3 different types of steering systems, which will then lead into my steering lecture. Students are continually monitored to insure they are wearing their safety glasses and cover-alls while maintaining safe shop practices at all times while in the shop area.
- Alignment Activity.pdf [ Download ]
- Assessment Types:
- Projects, Demonstrations, Teacher-Made Test, Observations,
I will walk around the class monitoring the student’s participation and answer any questions that arise. During the lab exercise I will ensure that the students wear their safety glasses and always practice shop safety. I will assist students in the lab if needed and give constructive feedback when necessary.