Part of Unit: Careers in Welding Technology
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
By: Jerry Joiner
Local careers in welding as seen on a power point presentation.
- 1 Class Period
- Field trip
- 3 Hours
Local careers in welding
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- MPD.D.D9.1 Understand corporate structures that affect welding production.
- MPD.D.D9.2 Understand that a welding production management system includes planning, engine...
- MPD.FS.3.1 Know the personal qualifications, interests, aptitudes, knowledge, and skills ne...
- MPD.FS.3.2 Understand the scope of career opportunities and know the requirements for educa...
- MPD.FS.3.3 Develop a career plan that is designed to reflect career interests, pathways, an...
Objectives and Goals
The student will be made aware of local industry opportunities.
- Teacher will visit and tour local welding industries and take pictures, to make a power point, and gather employment information about company policies, wages, ,job descriptions, benefits.
- Teacher will ask the owners if it isalright to bring students to tour their facilities.
- Teacher will set up a field trip schedule with administration.
Activities in this Lesson
- Local industries discovered - Hooks / Set
As the students enter the classroom they get their journals and begin to watch the power point of local industries.
- MANUFACTURING.ppt [ Download ] my power point.
- Industry opportunities - Group Work
Class discussion of local industry opportunities.
The teacher will list these on the board.
- Class field trip to local industries - Demo / Modeling
Take a tour of local industries that focus on Welding, Fabrication, Manufacturing. Ask about careers, salary, benefits, etc.
- Activity #4 - Assessment
The students are asked to write or type a 1/2 page paper about which industry or business they think they would like to work at and why.
Other questions for them to write about:
What was the starting wage, benefits, hours of work, full or part time?
What type of work would you do?
Were the working conditions good? dirty? poor? etc.
Have the students either in a group or individually give 5 minutes in front of the class as to their report. Put their report in their folder.
- Assessment Types:
- Journals, Observations, , Class discussion
Students take notes in their journal on the power point company names. Student will write down the name of the companies for possible future employment and include a copy of their assessment from the field trip tour.
- MANUFACTURING.ppt [ Download ] Industry Power Point