Part of Unit: Physiology
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
In this lesson I introduce students to the Circulatory System. This lesson includes an overview of the parts of the heart and its function, as well as , tracing the flow of blood through the heart.
- 70 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.W.OF.1.1 Establish a controlling impression or coherent thesis that conveys a clear and d...33
- S.9-12.LS.9.a Students know how the complementary activity of major body systems provides cell...1
Objectives and Goals
- Students will be able to correctly identify the parts and functions of the heart.
- Students will be able to correctly trace the flow of blood through the heart.
- Students will understand the importance of the heart as it functions in mammals.
Activities in this Lesson
- Do I make your heart beat fast? - Hooks / Set
In this activity, students will match the average heart rate with its correct species. Cut the words in the attached document and give each student an index card with their specific word. Then have students try to find their match by roaming around the room. Once they think that they have the correct answers, they will verify the answers with you and then write them on the board for all of the students to see. You can offer prizes or points for students who finish first.
- Do I make your heart beat fast? [ Download ] This is the explanation for the "Hook" activity.
This is a copy of the Power Point that I show that introduces students to the parts of the heart and their functions. This lesson will also include the flow of blood through the heart.
- Introduction to the Heart and Circulatory System [ Download ] This is the power point that I use to discuss the basic functions of the heart and circulatory system. I would have already discussed blood and blood vessels with them.
- Student Heart Diagram [ Download ] This is the copy that I give to my students. It is a diagram of the heart, but the students will need to fill in the missing information.
- Heart Story - Demo / Modeling
I have the students make a small booklet, comic strip or song/poem that explains the parts of the heart and how each part functions. This allows them an opportunity to be creative while still incorporating all of the components of the circulatory system.
- Assessment Types:
- Teacher-Made Test,
I have assessment activities for each of the systems. Periodically I will give the students a quiz on material that they learned. I have attached one sample quiz that I have used with an Ag Biology Class.
Often I will also buy sheep hearts to show the students. We dissect the hearts and trace the path of blood flow through the heart on an actual heart. This would be a separate lesson on its own.
At the conclusion of the systems, the students will dissect fetal pigs and/or pregnant rats. I give them a practical exam in groups of three and give them a comprehensive grade. By comprehensive I mean that I keep track of how many the entire group gets correct and the whole group gets that grade, so it becomes really important that the groups collaborate on their dissection.
- Quiz overview of systems [ Download ] Attached is a sample quiz that I have given at the end of teaching the mini units.