Part of Unit: Product Design, Procedures, Licensure and Regulations
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students learn what is involved in discovering a pharmaceutical drug. How drug targets are chosen, and the processes and stages involved in finding drug candidates to effect the targets.
- 1 - 2 class periods
- 55 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.A.A1.1 Understand the role of the biotechnology industry and its impact on society.
- HSMT.A.A5.1 Understand the process of developing biotechnology products in an industrial set...
- HSMT.A.A5.2 Understand the role of preclinical and clinical trials in biotechnology product ...
- HSMT.FS.3.4 Understand the role and function of professional organizations, industry associa...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.3 Generate relevant questions about readings on issues that can be researched.2
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3b Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
- ELA.9-10.W.2.3d Write expository compositions, including analytical essays and research reports ...
Objectives and Goals
Activities in this Lesson
- How much does a drug cost? - Hooks / Set
The students have a seat and take out their notebooks. Ask them to write down as many pharmaceutical drugs they can name. Then, have them guess how long it takes and how much money is spent to develop one pharmaceutical drug. Tell them the person with the closest guess will win a prize. Have them raise their hands, as you call on each person write their name and guess on the board. Answer: One Billion $ and Ten Years. Distribute prizes to closest guessers.
- The story of Viagra - Hooks / Set
Tell the story of how Viagra was discovered. Highlight the stages of the drug discovery and development process (Initial Concept, Research & Development, Clinical Trials, FDA Approval, Marketing). You can write these stages on the board and have the copy them in their notes. See attached. The web based activity is optional if you have the time and access to computers.
- How a drug is made! - Lecture
Use the attached powerpoint to give a general overview of the drug discovery process. Have students take notes.
- DRUG DISCOVERY POWERPOINT [ Download ]
- "How A Drug Comes To Market" Poster - Group Work
Students work in pairs to make a poster showing how a drug comes to market. The five stages of drug development should be clearly listed with descriptions for each stage. They can be creative by making up a ficticious drug name and/ or company. They can cut out pictures from magazines or draw pictures.
- Assessment Types:
Make sure the students have listed the five stages of drug development in order on their poster:
Initial Concept, R&D, Clinical Trials, FDA Approval, Marketing