Part of Unit: Tissue Response to Injury
Lesson Plan Overview / Details
Students will create representations of the 3 phases of healing using construction paper cut outs of a hand (either theirs or someone's that you have do this ahead of time), masking tape, staples, and printer paper.
- 1.5 - 90 minute period
- 0 Minutes
California Career and Technical Education Standards
- HSMT.E.E5.2 Understand the process for revising or creating modifications to treatment plans...
- HSMT.FS.5.2 Understand the universal, systematic problem solving model that incorporates inp...
California Academic Content Standards (Reinforced)
- ELA.9-10.R.CAGT.2.5 Extend ideas presented in primary or secondary sources through original analysis...3
Students will be able to
- Reproduce the 3 phases of the injury process
- State the purposes of swelling, scabbing, and scarring
- Go through the rehabilitation process and time progression of exercise
- Recognize signs of inflammation in pictures.
Activities in this Lesson
- Do Now Bell Starter - Hooks / Set
Students will answer 3-5 questions relating to previous knowledge being reviewed or scaffolded. Questions may also cause the student to begin thinking about the day's topics.
While students are completing this, supplies will be passed out per student:
- 3 construction paper hands
- 1 small piece of construction paper of a different color
- 1 circle of white printer paper
- strip of masking tape
- pair of scissors
- Injury Do Now [ Download ]
- Lecture and Activity - Lecture
After describing each phase of healing, students will perform that phase with the "hand"
Students will be called upon to review names, processes, and purpose of each phase after the subsequent phase has been covered.
Upon completion of the 3 phases students can outline the steps for the phases on each hand. (See attached)
- 2nd Day Lecture - Lecture
Finish injury notes by going through factors that impede healing, PRICE principle and how it applies to the phases of healing, and the rehab phase progression as it pertains to healing phases.
** Every 3-5 slides, teacher will pause to ask review questions of discussed material. Students are chosen by random drawing.
- Assessment Types:
- Projects, Observations,
Students will have reproduced the 3 phases of healing and labeled them correctly. Students will then describe each phase in their own words on a piece of paper for their ticket out.
- Phase 1 front [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Phase 1 back [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Phase 2 front [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Phase 2 back [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Phase 3 front [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]
- Phase 3 back [ View Image ] [ Download Original ]