Part of Course: Medical Assistant Model
Unit Overview / Details
This unit covers examination of major body systems, organ functions and preparing and assisting with physical exams.
- 10 Hours
- Community Classroom
- 25 Hours
- 25 Hours
Content / Concepts
A. Preparing for the examination
1. The examination room
2. Measuring height and weight
3. Measuring length and head circumference of infant
4. Determining visual acuity
5. Determining auditory acuity
6. Patient education and preparation
B. Assisting with the examination
1. Positioning and draping the patient
2. Routine physical examination
3. Irrigating the eye and ear
4. Patient education
Lessons in this Unit
This lesson will prepare the student to assist in patient examinations. The students will learn to prepare the exam room, take height, weight, head circumference of infants, conduct vision and auditory exams for a patient physical. For the assessment of this lesson students will bring in family members to act as their patients and family members will be able to provide feedback on their experience.
- one class period
- 55 Minutes
A "pregnancy Calculator" wheel is fun to make: Calculate your LMP, your baby's expected weight, length, due date, date of conception.
- I class
- 60 Minutes
Casting: How to put on, care for, and remove a cast
- The instructor will demonstrate how to put on a cast using casting materials .
- The students will work in teams to put a cast on another student’s arm in a natural position as the instructor watches and helps where needed.
- While the cast dries, students will decorate the cast with directions for cast care from a hand-out and show the instructor for evaluation.
- Instructor demonstrates how to remove a cast: Using bandage scissors cut off any of the sleeve , using a cast saw cut the cast from the hand to the upper arm, gently pry the cast a part and cut any remaining sleeve and padding with the bandage scissors. Gently pry open and remove it.
- Students will remove the cast with the help of the instructor as instructor evaluates.
- 120 Minutes