Casting: How to put on, care for, and remove a cast
- The instructor will demonstrate how to put on a cast using
casting materials .
- The students will work in teams to put a cast on another
student's arm in a natural position as the instructor watches and
helps where needed.
- While the cast dries, students will decorate the cast with
directions for cast care from a hand-out and show the instructor
- Instructor demonstrates how to remove a cast: Using bandage
scissors cut off any of the sleeve , using a cast saw cut the cast
from the hand to the upper arm, gently pry the cast a part and cut
any remaining sleeve and padding with the bandage scissors.
Gently pry open and remove it.
- Students will remove the cast with the help of the instructor
as instructor evaluates.