In this lesson, #2 of 4, we will be designing two vertical floral designs, a Bud Vase and a Formal Vertical Line Design. This project outlines the process for using one set of flowers into multiple designs. This lesson includes lab sheets for the students, a power point with the outline, and a reflection writing assignment.
Materials needed for each student:
- 2 stems line foliage (flax or myrtle)
- 2 stems foliage (leather leaf or another fern)
- 2 stems filler flower (waxflower or misty statice or baby's breath)
- 7 - 9 stems mass flowers (carnations)
- 1 bud vase container
- 1 bow (to be made with ribbon)
- 1 single design bowl container
- Floral Foam (1/3 brick for a single design bowl)
- Other: accessories as available (cardette, enclosure card, etc.)
Overall Project Introduction: A Project-Based-Learning (PBL) lesson set for floral design. One set of flowers will be re-made into 4 separate designs.
- This first lesson will focus on art elements and principles used in four designs. Lecture will cover definitions of art and practice in designing symbolic art.
- The second lesson will outline the design process for a vertical bud vase and vertical line design (lab period).
- The third lesson will outline the design process for a round centerpiece and corsage/boutonniere set.
- The last lesson in this project is to review floral wholesale costs and marking up the cost to a retail price. Students will see the similar costs associated and compared between the 4 designs. These can be added to a portfolio as work samples.
The lesson on
Elements of Design should be taught before this, and an accompanying lesson that can be taught in conjunction with this lesson includes the Principles of Design.
Flower Re-Mix 1: The Elements of Art for Floral Design
Flower Re-Mix 2: Same Ingredients, Different Recipe
Flower Re-Mix 3: Play It Again!
Flower Re-Mix 4: Wholesale and Retail Costs